Our next meeting is today, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, at the Newman United Methodist Church, located at 132 NE “B” Street in Grants Pass.
NOTE: We have a lot to cover. We shall be holding everyone to their respective assigned time limits so we can finish the meeting in about an hour.
Here is the Agenda:
· SOS Strategic Plan: Cliff Thomason
SOS Wheel of Fortune (Edits)
· Lottery Committee: Cliff Thomason (1 min.)
· St. Patrick’s Day 10K/5K Run for the Law Committee: Bill West email@example.com March 15, 2014 for more information, visit Bill’s committee’s webpage on our website: www.securingoursafety.org (5 min.)
· Dale Matthews (Dale requested 5 min. to address SOS)
· Justice of Peace Committee: Dave Corsi; the next meeting for this committee is November 20, 2013 at the Tap Rock Restaurant @ 5:30 PM/Dave shall update the progress of this Committee next week; If you would like to join this committee, please e-mail Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org (10 min.)
· Medically-Assisted-Treatment (MAT) Committee:Toni WebbAwareness Campaign Brochure; planning of the MAT Center—“If we build it, they will come”; next meeting is at 5:30 PM at the Women’s Health Center on November 21, 2013; e-mail Toni if you would like to join this committee:email@example.com; Toni will update the progress of this Committee next week (5 min.)
· POKER NIGHT Fund Raiser at the Wild River Brew Pub Jay Meredith
ALL IN FOR SAFETY!
SOS Texas Hold’em Fundraiser
Help Us Achieve, “A Citizen-Voiced Plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”
DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?
1stPrize $500 gift card
Top 15 Finishers receive Prizes!
WHEN: Thursday, December 5, 2013
5:30 PM – 9:30 PM
WHERE: Wild River Brew Pub, 533 NE F Street, Grants Pass
COST: $50 includes stone–oven baked Pizza, salad, and dessert along with your buy-in to the tournament!
ONLY 100 Tickets will be sold!
Here is the online announcement: http://wp.me/p3hQZg-FI
You can also RSVP for a ticket on our Facebook event page: www.facebook.com/events/1417118441853188/
If you would like to sponsor a prize for our fundraiser, please call Jay! (541-218-1227)
TICKET COUNT SOLD TO DATE: 35
Warriors coming thus far include: Jesse Wallace, Jim Goodwin, Jay Meredith, Dave Daniel, Archie Lidey, Holly Lidey, Pat Fahey, Jamie Williams, Mark Bost, John Nicklason, Toni Webb, Craig Simpson, Gary Berlant, Pete Jenista, Karen Jenista, Cliff Thomason, Shane Simon, Ralph Nelson, Toni Webb, Derek Sandin, DJ Willingham and
Bill Ertel put out the PRESS RELEASE! (5 min.)
· The Hardrock Mining Committee—What’s the Next Step? Michael Cope/Jay Meredith
“Rock N’ Earth Research Lab LLC Exec Summary” (10 min.)
Summary of last week’s Mineral Meeting:
The mineral meeting featuring DOGAMI was held on Tuesday, November 12th at 1:30pm and was a well-attended meeting and a very informative meeting. About 50-60 people attended this meeting including two County Commissioners. This was a presentation about the Mineral Wealth of Southern Oregon from Tom Wiley and Andree Pollock from the Department of Geology and Mineral Industries (DOGAMI). They made an excellent presentation and stressed the mineral riches that are in Josephine and Baker Counties.
They also credited Michael Cope (SOS Hard Rock Mining committee chair) with research about Tellurium in Josephine County and confirmed that Tellurium in Josephine County needs to be researched. This is the semiconductor material that is used in Solar panels and could be another source of major economic development in our County if it is feasible to mine – we already know the County has an abundance of precious metals such as gold. The presenters also confirmed the need for a local assay research lab. There is also a summary of the meeting in the Wednesday Daily Courier!
We are in agreement of the importance of a LAB and to make the upcoming SUMMIT a Home Run! More to follow!
· The Immediate Change Committee Jody Nigh
1) Skateboard Raffle: Cheri Adkins (1 min.)
Jubilee Park, Cave Junction
Our Goal is: $1,000
Where are we?
2) Jubilee Park Vigil : Shane Simon We held our first meeting and much headway was made. Here are the details:
The event will be held at Jubilee Park in Cave Junction on Dec 8th @ 4 p.m. The goal of this event is to bring together all members of the community for a vigil in order to signify our stance against crime and violence in the Illinois Valley and Josephine County.
What we need to make this successful:
1. We need every able body that has a stake in a Safe, Secure, and Stable Josephine County to attend this event. This part of our county has seen the blunt end of the violence as of late, and they need to see the Josephine County community standing beside them. You can join the group on Face Book, “Taking Back Jubilee” and add yourself to the event. Please share the event with others.
2. We are in search for: A band or music group to play inspiring music during the candle lighting. We also are in search for a P.A. system and outdoor heaters.
3. Any momentary donations are gladly excepted. Any revenue generated will go for these items above, and other items such as cups and bowls for hot beverages and soups that will be served at this event.
If anyone would like to join the efforts towards this event, please contact Shane Simon @ 541-218-8278.
“An opportunity is upon us to effect change for the betterment of our community and you are invited to be apart of it.” (5 min.)
· Fund-Raising Art Show February 6, 2014 (Note the change of date!) Joanne Alvarez, Cheri Adkins and Kay Smith (5 min.)
§ Six Artists have committed to participating and to donating at least one piece of Art: The Glass Forge, Gwen Childs, Lily Schoen, Camille Benedict, JoAnne Alvarez and Karen O’Brien
§ Over 40 e-mails have been sent out
§ The Committee now consists of Chairpersons: Joanne Alvarez, Cheri Adkins and Kay Smith, and Amber Garza, Nadine Patel, Lily Schoen andCamille Benedict
§ Heather Green who is the head of Art at RRC has also been contacted
§ Venue has been established: Roux 26 in Grants Pass
§ Jim Frick as our gregarious Auctioneer!
§ We need to see if we can solicit at least 4 wineries for wine tasting and they will be able to buy glasses of wine at the bar
§ We will have music
§ We want to encourage as many Artists as we can to participate as this will not only be an awareness project for our County and its’ safety, but shall also serve to help Artists get attention
§ The time of the event will be?
§ We need others to help in the process as well/if anyone else knows of any artists who might want to participate, please come forward.
· Mr. Corona Re-Invests in Grants Pass! (5 min.)
· Jail/Juvenile Justice Levy Committee (10 min.)
1) Again, Citizens for Securing Our Safety (CSOS) has been formed as the heart and soul of this petition/levy
2) Sign-up sheets will be at the final week of the Saturday Market this week again—Erin Smith-Mateja, Cheri Adkins Holly Lidey will be manning the table this Saturday!
3) The focus point of this movement to be the emphasis that the jail and juvenile justice center is the core of our criminal justice system—The Keystone!
4) Please e-mail your detailed questions to me at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding the levy; The above questions shall be posted on a FAQ site on this committee’s website webpage www.securingoursafety.org and then go to this committee’s webpage
5) 4 Signs, something to the effect: “Sign-Up Here for the Jail/JJC Petition” It will sell itself!
6) Manned Stations
7) Radio Spots/Press
8) The language for the Levy Petition has been completed and passed about the group; this will be posted on the website
9) Signature gathering campaign for this
Signature GOAL: 2,300 has begun. Please follow the instructions on the Measure Signature Sheet to a T! Otherwise it won’t count.
· Timber Committee Update Next Week with Jim Frick
· Citizen-Voiced Plan Update Next Week with Jay Meredith
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” Unknown
You really ARE making a difference!
WHAT SAY YOU?
MISSION: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”