Good Evening SOS!
” I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him. ” – Abraham Lincoln
Our Meeting this week, is tomorrow, Tuesday, May 7, 2013, at the Wild River Brew Pub located at 533 NE F Street, in Grants Pass from 5:15 PM-6:15 PM.
1) RESTORE (Jeff Wolf, separate organization from SOS) Topics include signs (where you can get them), letters (a batch to review), Fireteams, Radio Spots, Mailers, Sponsors, Saturday Market and the Merlin Parade (Please bring all of the signs ($912.50) you still might have to the meeting this Tuesday!!!)
2) Victim’s Forum This will be proposed to the group; Pat Fahey, Jay Meredith and others are in the process of crafting a Victim’s Forum for the week of May 14, 2013—It will be our last Awareness Event prior to the ELECTION; We are thinking about a televised event, moderated by a TV personality along with Pat Fahey, where people throughout the county can come and share their stories and frustrations; we intend to have a member from all of the components of the Criminal Justice System on hand to answer questions and provide resource direction; this will NOT be a political event but will be sponsored by SOS; we tentatively have the GP City Council Chambers reserved for Tuesday, May 14, 2013.
3) Memorial Day Parade Float (Cheri Adkins)
4) T-Shirts ($6 Each/Cheri Adkins) We will be asking all of the SOS members to wear their T-shirts throughout May in support of the Criminal Justice System
5) Opioid Clinic Update (Toni Webb)
Recap for last Thursday’s meeting:
Two young women joined our meeting last Thursday to share their insights and experience with drug treatment and the methadone clinic. One woman had been through treatment; the other woman is still in treatment. They both had good advice on how treatment can be improved, and I will pass along their experiences to Kim Sanderson, the regional vice president for CRC (runs the clinic in Medford).
Toni met with Kim Sanderson last week; the Vice President of Business Development for CRC will be on the West Coast in a week or so. She is going to try to arrange for him to visit Grants Pass. They are serious about re-opening the methadone clinic here. We could have a methadone treatment program before the end of the year. Since the Medford clinic will be moving further south this month, we need a clinic here in Josephine County.
CRC will be looking for 2500+ of space, preferably in a stand-alone building. Preferably a space that has been a medical office or similar space. Crucial requirement is that the space must be more than 1000 feet away from daycare or school. Please send out the word to anyone who is in commercial real estate or has empty building space; have them call me at 541-450-3878. We also need the City and County to go through their inventory to see if they have empty space for this project.
Karen Wheeler, Administrator with Oregon Health Authority, has planned a conference call for May 13th. Several of us will be on the call; if you are interested, please email me. We will have a report on the progress at the next meeting:
Thursday, May 16th 5:30pm Women’s Health Center
6) School Board Liaison (Gary Penning)
7)Property/Resource (Phil Killian, Dave Corsi, Pat Fahey and Jay Meredith)
8)SOS Refunding Committee UPDATE (Carl Raskins) We will be assigning shifts for the following posts: Umpqua Bank 0900-1300 Saturday, May 11, 2013 and Redwood SOS 1000-1400 Saturday, May 11, 2013; Redwood SOS 1000-1400 Sunday, May 12, 2013; We will have sign-ups at the meeting; Carl will give us an update on their success; Media Coverage! (Bill Ertel)
9)Sobering Center Update (Bill Landis)
10) Josephine County Jail Tours (Sheriff Gilbertson)
11) Lottery Update (Cliff Thomason); Cliff will share his victimization story
12) Question Inventory Addressing the word “May” Josephine County Commissioner Keith Heck
KEEP THE QUESTIONS COMING!!!
Thank you all for your energy and support for our home!
MISSION STATEMENT: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”