Good Evening SOS!
Here are the notes from last Tuesday Night’s Meeting (ELECTION NIGHT):
November 4, 2014
- We have many projects in the SOS works. I am very confident that by May 2015, we should have a solid foundation for our: “…citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”
SOS Sponsor Report Jennifer Essick
- In conjunction with the Grants Pass Chamber of Commerce, we shall be forming another committee which shall aggressively seek out all of our business partners and unite them under one umbrella. Thus far, the people who have stepped up for this committee include: Jennifer Essick, Brian Pendleton, Colene Martin, Jacki Halcomb, Nadine Patel and Kim Gasperson
- Our GOAL is simple: unite all businesses in Grants Pass under one umbrella promoting unity and local shopping
- It is our intention to move forward by getting businesses to support SOS by allowing us to display their respective electronic logos on our site as well as displaying a small yellow laminated placard in their store window
- OUR future intention, once all of the businesses have been laced together, is to then pass the torch from SOS to our very competent Chamber of Commerce
- We will have SOS sponsored events at businesses throughout the county encouraging unity, local business and outreach
- We shall have a “Josephine County First” spirit resonate throughout the community
- If you would like to join this committee, please e-mail Jennifer @ email@example.com
Lottery Committee Cliff Thomason
- We’re clear for statewide signature gathering!
- Each signature gathered to date will count toward the statewide total, thus far 1160 valid signatures have already been gathered
- This separate Committee has 20 months to collect 150,000 signatures
- We received a $10,000 DONATION and have hired a social media campaign manager
- We are considering a signature gathering approach that will get [e-petition prepaid] signatures at $0.58 each… it’s allowed under Oregon’s e-petition law
- We are also considering a paper signature gathering method
- We shall use both methods to gather signatures until next June when summer events start; then will use booths at events like Saturday Growers’ Market to collect signatures
- We will have to turn in petitions by July 2016
- Join this committee @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Casino Night Felita Short
- We recognized Felita and the great job she and her team did! It turned out to be a great event!!!
- Performant, who employees over 400 employees in Grants Pass, donated $400 to our event
- We had great participation from numerous sponsors to include: Mr. Corona Fantastic Flights and the Portola Super Mini Mart & Deli; Griess Family Brewery; Dutch Bros; Roe Motors; 7 Feathers; Tap Rock; Jiffy Lube OIL Change; Thai BBQ Restaurant; Rue 26; Saigon Xichio Lo Restaurant; Powderhorn; Jerry’s Rogue Jets; Ronin Martial Arts and Fitness; Gaetanos Restaurant; Wild River Brew Pub; Applebees, Cliff Thomason and Cheri Adkins
- Many people have indicated a desire to join our efforts for a safer community
- We estimated approximately 90 participants
- Our GROSS= Approximately $4,000 and our NET= Approximately $2,000
Pat Fahey/Ken Smith/Linda Scott
- Voters want a safe community
- Would vote $1.40 to have sheriff patrol 7 days a week 16 hours a day; reopen Juvenile Justice Center; and to increase jail capacity to 160 beds not at full design capacity
- Group has hired a lawyer to write ballot language so that can gather signatures starting in February
- We will still need to get signatures
- There will be an oversight committee with members not connected to the police department, city or county commissions or the government, which the Chamber of Commerce shall be a platform for and Colene Martinand Harold Haugen have already begun to develop
- Contact Harold for more details @ email@example.com
Endorse Public Safety Measure
- Following the completion of scientific research to determine what level of public safety voters want, and how much they are willing to pay for those services, work is progressing to place a Public Safety Measure on the May 19, 2015 ballot. If you are willing to publicly support this measure and have your name included on the Endorsements Page of the Community United for Safety website campaigning the measure, please give your permission by emailing Linda Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
- Join the Community Research Committee by e-mailing Ken: email@example.com
Run for the Law: A County United
Bill West/Holly Lidey
The 2nd annual Run for the Law planning has started with a bang! Our run will be March 7th, 2015. We have decided on a run name: Run for the Law: A County United. We think this name fits in nicely with what we want to accomplish regarding awareness and continuing to shine the light on a problem that should be the most pressing issue for everyone in our County. We will be sending out sponsor letters to last year’s sponsors to invite them to sponsor again. We will also be working on completing our registration, choosing a run shirt, posting our run on run websites, confirming our routes, etc. This year should be even more fun and should run even smoother, as we work out some small kinks from our first Run for the Law. Please join our committee…even if you want to play a small part. We could use all the help we can get!! Club Northwest will be hosting again this year…and rumor has it that they will be posting a large cash prize drawing for one lucky runner – more info to come on that!
If you would like to help in ANY way please contact Holly Lidey at 541-660-8186 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Final NOTE: Just a word of thanks to all of those who serve our community, whether it is in the role as a leader or in any other capacity. We are all here together and for those who sacrifice their time and often their time with family in selfless devotion—Thank YOU! Congratulations to all of those who sought and achieved an elected position. To those who were unsuccessful, thank you for trying. Your efforts were not in vain and we appreciate your courage!