MEETING NOTES 7-29-14:
OPERATION OUTREACH – Archie Lidey
- August 2, 2014, We kick off OPERATION OUTREACH!!! Visit Pat Fahey, Phil Killian and Archie Lidey at the GP Saturday Market between 0800 AM-1200 Noon!
- We set up our OUTREACH Booth
- Julian Silva is providing us with a table
- Pat Fahey is providing us with a canopy
- Linda Scott and Phil Killian completed our SOS general flyer and graciously took input from so many of you, to include: Ernie Coffman, JoAnne Alvarez, Dave Corsi, Lorrie Smith-McKeen, Bill West, Pat Fahey, Darryl Scott, Nancy Yonally, Marilane Jorgenson, Felicia Cohen, Michael Cope, Dale Matthews, Bill Landis, Kristine Crewse, Craig Simpson, Kirk Brust, Holly Lidey, Cherryl Walker, Connie Roach, Grant Medley, Mary Bowen, Jennifer Essick, Jack Swift, Cliff Thomason, Ken Smith, Jim Frick, Cheri Adkins, Jay Meredith, Gil Gilbertson, and Bill Ertel (I just picked them up from the Press! Stop by the GP Saturday Market to see your work!)
- We shall have flyers from the MAT-C, Lottery and SOS available
- We will have Logs for: a Business Log, for Josephine County businesses who want to become sponsors; an Idea Log for people to write down their suggestions as to how we can solve our criminal justice system dilemma funding; an E-Mail Log for people who want to get onto our email list; and a Victim’s Log, for people who want to share their victimization as a result of our decimated criminal justice system
- in the very near future, we hope to also have a poll available, for people who like to participate and “sound off” with respect to what they want and expect out of our criminal justice system
- we will also have a calendar for people to write in upcoming events that SOS can participate in with our OUTREACH
- if you would like to join this committee, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Research Committee (formally known as the Tax Option Committee) – Ken Smith
- Ken, assisted in part by Linda Scott, gave an excellent presentation on the results from our past two FOCUS GROUPS, conducted on July 17, 2014
- Ken is working on a presentation/notes of the focus groups which he shall post on this committee’s webpage on our website www.securingoursafety.org
- Where do we go from here? This committee is tasked with the decision as to whether or not they shall proceed with additional focus groups or go to scientific polling
- Josh Balloch and his assistant Courtney Johnson were given high marks for how they conducted the focus groups
- generally speaking, lack of any trust in local government, and a general disconnect from our current crisis were dominant responses
- Ken led us in our own quasi-focus group and some really great ideas emerged, two of which I feel obligated to share: 1) Color code the County Budget so that it is easier to understand (ie., the color red is for funds received that are “pass through funds”; blue is for funds that can only be used for specific functions—like Economic Development; green are for funds that are at the discretion of the Board of County Commissioners and can be used for whatever; 2) code the Sheriff’s Office responses: CODE 1: for non-life threatening situations, which require a police officer to professionally respond, take a report and conduct follow-up investigation—example would be a residential burglary; CODE 2: the coordinated efforts of the Sheriff’s Office and the Oregon State Police to respond to life threatening situations—example would be, a man with a gun menacing people; CODE 3: the coordinated efforts of the Sheriff’s Office, the Oregon State Police and the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety, who respond together to the threat of harm to our county treasures—example would be an “active shooter” at Hidden Valley High School
- GREAT IDEAS!!!
- if you would like to join this committee, email Ken at email@example.com
Trust and Transparency Grant Medley
- This work continues and the subject of paying for an External AUDIT is now being discussed
- Join this committee @ firstname.lastname@example.org
AFSCME UNION PRESIDENT JULIAN SILVA announced that Field Services Director Andrew Friedman from their office in Salem expressed great appreciation in the efforts of SOS and wants to become more involved in our Hard Rock Mining and BIOMASS efforts!!!
Additionally, Julian offered SOS and any of their committees, their Board Room to meet at, which is located at their new offices located at 1607 Williams Hwy., #3C, Grants Pass! Thank you Julian!
Art Auction Committee JoAnne Alvarez
- We are asking local artists to e-mail Committee Chairperson JoAnne at email@example.com to express their intent to donate and reserve a spot at this year’s auction
- February 5, 2015
Poker Night Shall Be Announced Next Week!!! Felita Short
Lottery Committee Cliff Thomason
- Signatures have been turned in
- This is going to happen in the 2016 ELECTION!
- YOU can now donate by PAYPAL or credit card on the Lottery Website!
Jack Swift volunteered to write an OP-ED on the 10% Internal Service Funds (ISF) and the ignorance associated with what those funds actually are. Thank you Jack!
Rycke Brown suggested that part of our problem with respect to the BCC was the fact that there is no separation between the executive and legistlative branches of our local government.
Lastly, many of you are aware of another group which has formed to also address our current criminal justice system financial crisis. While I cannot comment on why this group has chosen not to join us directly, I can say that we welcome any efforts to help our county. Scott Draper, who is helping coordinate this group with Simon Hare, has personally assured me that this group wants to compliment SOS and not replicate any of our efforts. That being said, let us not get weighed down in the “whys” but keep challenging the “hows” and “whats” that we need to determine, in regards to how we make our home safer.
Let us avoid distractions and ethically and above reproach proceed together to accomplish our MISSION: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”
“What have I done for my county lately?”