Good Evening SOS, our next meeting is August 25, 2015 at the Newman United Methodist Church located at 132 NE B Street, Grants Pass, OR, from 5:15 PM-6:15 PM.
Over the next several weeks, SOS shall be buckling down and doing a little house cleaning in preparation for some very important upcoming events.
As you know, there have been numerous homicides since May this year in our County and the signs of the crumbling criminal justice system are more and more apparent:
May 17, 2015 A man shot and killed his girlfriend and then himself in Grants Pass, Josephine County, OR
May 29, 2015 Officers shot and killed a man involved in domestic violence with his daughter, after he pointed a firearm at them in Wilderville, Josephine County, OR
June 15, 2015 A couple was randomly murdered by a stranger/transient in Colonial Valley, Josephine County, OR
July 1, 2015 Officers shot and killed fleeing CA murder suspect, who had just left his Mother’s residence in Wolf Creek at MP 72.3 on I-5 NB, Sunny Valley, Josephine County, OR
July 14, 2015 Resident shot and killed intruder in Grants Pass, Josephine County, OR
These are just the severe recent notables
We need solutions
We need your help!
Meeting Notes (August 11, 2015):
Lottery Local Control Committee – Cliff Thomason/Jay Meredith
Josephine County would likely receive over $5 million per year from this initiative (WITHOUT RAISING TAXES!) and it could be used for our County’s greatest needs…we just need to get enough signatures to place it on the ballot.
- we need 117,000 signatures and we only have 5,000
- the deadline is July 1, 2016
- efforts to collect signatures have been hampered by a lack of interest of volunteers
- Cheri Adkins, at a great expense to herself, of both time and money, she spent most of last week at the Douglas County Fair—Holly Lidey, among others also spent a day… the spot was terrible and the response was poor
- this campaign needs state-wide financial and signature collection support and it’s just not there
- there are other distractions hampering some of the leaders of this effort…
We decided to revive this effort. STAY TUNED….but contact this separate PAC because the Lottery Local Control Committee Needs Your Help!
For more info contact Cliff at firstname.lastname@example.org
GRACE ROOTS Pathways to Wellness
Nancy Yonally/Marilane Jorgenson/Dr. Felica Cohen
- Grace Roots is well on its way and is meeting weekly to make this a reality! Grace roots is also on its way to becoming its own nonprofit organization and looks to be starting some treatment through a partnership with Options.
- Nutrition is part of the treatment process and Grace Roots is sponsoring a nutrition fair on Saturday, September 19TH from 2-7 PM at the Josephine County Fairgrounds; Haggen Foods has graciously donated the salad bar; the 7TH Day Adventist Church has jumped in to help make this event a success; there will be 6 renown speakers on Food and Health; we are expecting over 500 in attendance; being strong and eating healthy shall be a large component of the Grace roots Center—“You are what you eat!”
- If your organization would like to schedule a private showing of our Awareness Video, don’t hesitate to call: GRACE ROOTS (541) 218-2059
- Medical Director Dr. Steven Rotter and Archie Lidey presented the Awareness Video to the Grants Pass Rotary on August 12, 2015 and it appeared to have been very well received!!!
- Join this committee or if you want to volunteer for our upcoming event on September 19, 2015, please contact Nancy at email@example.com
See our compilation here and share it on social media!
This piece will be used for seeking partnerships, grants, and general SOS education and awareness activities. We will also use this as a showcase piece to try and attract partnerships to do additional video work and perhaps a full documentary. Please share this video on your social media pages – the more eyes we have on our crisis and the more awareness, the easier it will be to come together and achieve our mission: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”
We have located a foundation that provides grants for documentaries such as our plan. The requirements for the grant meet our documentary goal very well and we will be applying for this grant by the end of August. This foundation usually provides grants in the range of $50,000 to $200,000 and our subject matter meets the grantor’s requirements very well.
For more info contact David at firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Grants Pass – Sales Tax Proposal
The Grants Pass City Council shall be placing a Criminal Justice Sales Tax proposal on the ballot for this November that would be for Grants Pass voters and just for the City. However, at the same time as it could eliminate the City’s Public Safety property tax levy of $1.79 and eliminate the new Jail Services Utility Fee, it could also become a funding solution for about $3 million per year towards the Criminal Justice System. Proposals under consideration would provide for enough funds to replace the GP Public Safety Levy, provide up to $1.4 million per year for jail services, provide $1.4 million per year to reopen and operate the Juvenile Justice Shelter and Detention facility, and supplement criminal prosecution services for about $250,000 per year. While these are all services traditionally funded by the County (everyone in the City and County pay the same County property tax rates) and shared by all, Grants Pass Police rely heavily on these services and have been without the proper level of these services for the last three years.
The Daily Courier is now awash with letters to the Editor with much misinformation. There will be a PAC for this effort. This effort by the City needs to be laid out soundly and communicated to the mass of city voters so all the votes will be educated votes.
SOS ART AUCTION COMMITTEE
Under the excellent guidance of Chairman Joanne Alvarez, the SOS ART AUCTION COMMITTEE is beginning to saddle up again for its third year with its first meeting on Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 5:30 PM. For additional details, please contact JoAnne @ email@example.com
WHAT SAY YOU?
MISSION: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”