We had another great meeting this week! For those in attendance, THANK YOU! Please get involved however you can. We need you!
Here are the NOTES:
· Dave Daniel led us in the Pledge of Allegiance
· SOS 10K Run/Walk Update Bill West/Holly Lidey
1. We have a NAME!!! “St. Patrick’s Day Run for the Law!” Thank you Cherryl Walker, for the name nomination.
2. The date for the run is March 15, 2013
3. A timing chip company has been secured and a $100 deposit has been made
4. We are going to need as many vendors as possible; if you own a business and want to set up a stand, please e-mail Bill West
5. We are very fortunate to partner with Club Northwest and want this to be a success; our next big partner olive branch will be to Dutch Brothers! (Incidentally: Dutch BrothersCoffee is the featured business on Undercover Boss Friday, November 15th on CBS! Tune in and watch CEO and Co-Founder Travis Boersma go undercover in Dutch Bros!
THIS IS YOUR RUN! Get involved!
· SOS BOARD ELECTIONS Jay Meredith coordinated elections for the SOS 2013-2014 Board and they are as follows: Amber Garza, Jim Frick, Cheri Adkins, Bill Ertel, Holly Lidey, Jay Meredith, Laurie Norman, and Cliff Thomason
· Lottery Committee Update Cliff Thomason updated us; the language for the petition approved by the State Attorney General’s Office has been appealed, by our Lottery Local Control Committee to the Oregon State Supreme Court; we should have news and/or a final version of the petition within the next two months; this effort has been slated for the November 2014 Elections; Cliff mentioned how happy he was with Kevin Mannix and his efforts thus far!; Cliff also spoke about partnering with our own Emmy Award (for real) winning SOS member Jon Bowen to create a video for the Lottery effort
Lottery Local Control Committee
To comment, please email: LotteryLocalControl@yahoo.com
Lastly, this Committee meets every other Tuesday @ 6:30 PM
YOU TURNED IN YOUR BALLOTS!!!
17-57 City of Grants Pass Police & Fire
(WITH 11 OF 11 PRECINCTS COUNTED)
Yes . . . . . . . . . . . . 5,471 61.91
No. . . . . . . . . . . . . 3,366 38.09
Total . . . . . . . . . 8,837
Over Votes . . . . . . . . . 5
Under Votes . . . . . . . . . 45
The Grants Pass Department of Public Safety is an important component of the Josephine County Criminal Justice System. It was important for this levy to be successful at this time. The success of our Mission: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.” may eventually eliminate this levy as well as all levies when it comes to the Criminal Justice System as financial support for something so necessary for a community should be permanent. Thank you for all of your efforts to make this effort successful!
· The Hardrock Mining Committee—What’s the Next Step? Michael Cope/Jay Meredith Michael spoke briefly about the need to educate the public on hard rock mining and specifically “Tellurium” (Google it!) ; Michael spoke about the upcoming mining and mineral meeting:
MINING ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING
The next Timber Advisory Committee Meeting will feature a presentation
about the Mineral Wealth of Southern Oregon from Tom Wiley and Andree
Pollock from the Department of Geology and Mineral Industries
(DOGAMI). Tom gave an excellent talk last year and I am looking
forward to this one.
The meeting will be at 1:30 to 3:00 on November 12, 2013 in the Marie
Hill Conference Room which is located in the Josephine County
Corrections Office (old Washington School). A map of the Corrections
Office is attached along with the meeting agenda.
If you have any questions regarding this meeting, please feel free to
contact the Forestry office.
We want this to be a success! Please attend if you can. Josephine County Commissioner Keith Heck will be there, will you?
Michael also began a discussion about a large scale summit we “SOS” shall be hosting in the very near future to put Josephine County on the mining map!
Michael will also be selling “Tellurium” T-shirts for a fundraiser for this summit! “Tellurium”, you know, “Tellurium” (Google it!)
· The Immediate Change Committee’s First Project
Jubilee Park, Cave Junction
Jody Nigh/Shane Simon/Cheri Adkins UPDATE
Jody spoke about another project at Jubilee Park to help restore peace there for the kids. More to follow!
Our Goal is: $1,000
If you need tickets, please e-mail Cheri directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tickets are $5 each and include a helmet!
Buy a ticket and help the kids in CJ
WHAT SAY YOU?
· Jail/Juvenile Justice Levy Committee Update
Pat Fahey updated us:
1. The language for the Levy Petition is completed and he will be sending that version to us and it will also be placed on the website webpage
2. Signature gathering campaign for this
Signature GOAL: 2,300 has begun. Please follow the instructions on the Measure Signature Sheet to a T! Otherwise it won’t count. Pat has petitions. Cheri has 40 signatures already to Pat’s 39. Pat said the grand total signature person will win a garbage truck…Wow!
3. Again, Citizens for Securing Our Safety (CSOS) has been formed as the heart and soul of this petition/levy
4. Sign-up sheets will be at the Saturday Market this week again—Matthew Eldridgeand Bill West will be manning the table this Saturday!
5. The focus point of this movement to be the emphasis that the jail and juvenile justice center is the core of our criminal justice system
6. Please e-mail your detailed questions to me at email@example.com regarding the levy
7. The above questions shall be posted on a FAQ site on this committee’s website webpage www.securingoursafety.org and then go to this committee’s webpage
· Justice of Peace Committee Update Dave Corsi
Next meeting was last night at Tap Rock on (Wednesday, November 6, 2013 @ 5:30 PM ); If you would like to join this committee, please e-mail Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org ; the meeting included a discussion of website webpage, Mission and Goals; Dave will give an update at next week’s meeting!
· Medically-Assisted-Treatment (MAT) Committee Toni Webb Awareness Campaign Brochure was the main topic of tonight’s meeting and it went really well! “Hats off” to Toni, David Vance, Michele O’Brien, Michele Belcher and Dr. Felicia Cohen for an “outstanding product”; next step shall be our planning of the MAT Center—“If we build it, they will come”; next meeting is at 5:30 PM at the Women’s Health Center on November 21, 2013!; e-mail Toni if you would like to join this committee: email@example.com
· POKER NIGHT Fund Raiser at the Pub Jay Meredith
ALL IN FOR SAFETY! The event brochure link is HERE: Poker Night 12-05-13
SOS Texas Hold’em Fundraiser
Help Us Achieve, “A Citizen-Voiced Plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”
DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?
1st Prize $500 gift card
Top 15 Finishers receive Prizes!
5:30 PM – 9:30 PM
WHERE: Wild River Brew Pub
533 NE F Street, Grants Pass
COST: $50 includes stone–oven
baked Pizza, salad, and dessert along with your buy-in to the tournament!
ONLY 100 Tickets will be sold!
Contact Jay at SecuringOurSafety@gmail.com
Sorenson, Ransom, Ferguson & Kirchoff, LLP
Attorneys at Law have stepped up with a Prize Donation! Thank you so Much!
If you would like to sponsor a prize for our fundraiser, please call Jay! (541-218-1227)
TICKET COUNT SOLD TO DATE: 18
· Fund-Raising Art Show February 7, 2014 this date is set; Cheri Adkins/whoever would like to join this committee, please e-mail me back ASAP! Joanne Alvaraz and Kay Smith have stepped up!
· SOS Office—Matthew Eldridge was overwhelming elected to be our Sergeant of the Arms and shall be in charge of SOS property at a room donated by the Newman United Methodist Church for storage! Thank you Matthew!
· Penny Mueller, Jim Frick, Cliff Thomason and Dave Corsi, shall be meeting with Oregon Realty Association Lobbyists this Friday to pull them on board with SOS efforts! Thank you Penny for your awesome energy!
· Jim Frick will give us a Timber Committee update at next Tuesday’s meeting!
Last but not least, even as I speak, Cliff has turned the Archie- Menorah into a poster, which shall be unveiled at our next meeting! Great job Cliff!
Thanks for saving our community! You really ARE making a difference!
WHAT SAY YOU?
MISSION: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”