Our meeting Tuesday, November 26, 2013, at the Newman United Methodist Church in Grants Pass was again, a success. Thank you to everyone who attended.
Mike Schneider led us in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Mark Seligman’s house burnt down in Selma and Mark Gatlin led us in a prayer for Mark and his girlfriend, who got burned pretty badly. She’s being treated up in Portland.
· T-Shirts at the Book Lore Gordon Edstrom
We shall keep an inventory of SOS T-Shirts and Sweatshirts at the Book Lore, located at 122 SE H Street, Grants Pass, OR (541) 471-4945; this is a non-profit community book store who, in conjunction with Aspire, do phenomenal work; Gordon will be posting a T-Shirt emblem on our website, where you can click on it for more information regarding SOS gear; also, thank you Peter Tamashiro from Platinum Financial for your generous donation for our current inventory; T-Shirts are $10 for sizes XS-L; Sizes XL-XXL are $12; Sweatshirts are $25; they are produced for us by Gotcha Covered
· SOS Strategic Plan Penny Mueller
We discussed the need for each of our Committees to have a Strategic Plan and we agreed that they all should have one!
As a cog in the wheel of our “Wheel of Fortune” or a candle on our “Menorah”, each committee must have a solid plan for us to link everything together in our common Mission:“A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”
As such, each Committee will list on their website webpage:
o Committee Captain (with Photo) and e-mail address
o Date of Last Update
o Committee Mission
o Committee Goals
o Venue Listed for Meetings
o Next meeting noted/announced
o “Spiel” (a basic summary about your committee, incorporating Mission/Goals and what you are about—something that after a person reads it, they have a good idea of what you are about)
o FAQ Section—this is the hard one, because here’s where you basically answer what your committee has and has not vetted and why you are taking the direction you are taking
o Flyers—something we can pass out to people,which contains most of the above!
Over the next few weeks, we, as a group, shall be reviewing our website pages to ensure that we have these basic components on our website pages for each committee; it will be some work at first, but we definitely shall reap the benefits from it in the future! Most of the website pages already have most of this info. Thanks in advance!
· Justice of Peace Committee Dave Corsi; Dave updated us on hurdles we are overcoming, the first being a change in language to allow the Justice of the Peace Court to include the County Seat, which would be Grants Pass, like 8 other rural counties in Oregon are permitted to do; Dave provided the group with two documents: #1)DRAFT SUGGESTED RESOLUTION OF THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS RELATED TO A JUSTICE OF THE PEACE COURT; the group voted unanimously to approve this document for presentation to the Josephine County Board of Commissioners, a document which takes the first step to get the legislative amendment to allow Josephine County to have its’ county seat included in a Justice of the Peace Court; #2) the language for this Committee’s website page was presented by Dave (attached) and again, the group voted unanimously to approve this document for the SOS website; Gordon, please post on the Justice of the Peace Committee’s website; if you would like to join this committee, please e-mail Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Medically-Assisted-Treatment (MAT) Committee Toni Webb unfortunately Toni was unable to attend the meeting; however, we discussed our Awareness Campaign Brochure; per our STAT collector Frank Morin, we just received some incredible stats from District Attorney Stephen Campbell of the Josephine County District Attorney’s Office.
Frank Morin stated, “The percentage increase is huge, and might be the best way to present the numbers. I added the percentage increase to his (DA Campbell’s) numbers below in RED.
Please find below the stats we were able to pull from our data system. Case type means that we had criminal charges not necessarily drug charges (but including them) where we knew based upon the defendant or the police reports that heroin had some influence on the case. We try to code as many of those cases as we can in our system. Sometimes we miss them. Sometimes heroin is playing a role and we simply don’t have that information. Put simply, the stats are if anything – low.
The stats where the charge included “heroin” includes all charges where we found the drug and either it was being possessed, delivered, or manufactured.
CASE TYPE = Heroin
11/26/12 to 11/25/13 = 119 cases 385% increase over last year
(That’s 2 1/2 Heroin cases PER WEEK)
11/26/11 to 11/25/12 = 31 cases 61% increase over the previous year
11/26/10 to 11/25/11 = 19 cases
CHARGE includes the word Heroin
11/26/12 to 11/25/13 = 67 cases 830% increase over last year
11/26/11 to 11/25/12 = 8 cases
11/26/10 to 11/25/11 = 7 cases
This does not include all of the opiates (prescription medications), just heroin!
While we may never be able to articulate a dollar value impact of the positive effect a Medically Assisted Treatment Center (MAT-C) would have on our community, the numbers above as well as the numbers received from the Women’s Health Center in Grants Pass, where in 2012, 126 babies were born with Opiate withdrawal symptoms in Josephine County; as well as the fact that we have over 150 Josephine County residents commuting daily to Jackson County for their dosage of methadone; is evidentiary that a MAT-C could be impactful; this committee is in the planning stage of the MAT-C—“If we build it, they will come”; next meeting is at 5:30 PM at the Women’s Health Center on December 4, 2013; e-mail Toni if you would like to join this committee: email@example.com
POKER NIGHT Fund Raiser at the Wild River Brew Pub Jay Meredith
ALL IN FOR SAFETY!
SOS Texas Hold’em Fundraiser
Help Us Achieve, “A Citizen-Voiced Plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”
DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?
1st Prize $500 gift card
Top 20 Finishers receive Prizes!
WHEN: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 5:30 PM – 9:30 PM
WHERE:Wild River Brew Pub, 533 NE F Street, Grants Pass
COST: $50 includes stone–oven baked Pizza, salad, and dessert along with your buy-in to the tournament!
ONLY 100 Tickets will be sold!
Here is the online announcement: http://wp.me/p3hQZg-FI
You can also RSVP for a ticket on our Facebook event page: www.facebook.com/events/1417118441853188/
· The Hardrock Mining Committee—What’s the Next Step? Michael Cope/Jay Meredith “Rock N’ Earth Research Lab LLC Exec Summary” was presented by Michael; there are people who want to know more about our predicament who apparently have a strong backing of investors; Michael told us about his recent contact with http://www.techmetalsresearch.com ; “TMR provides market intelligence, commentary and analysis on the rare earths, graphite and other critical and strategic materials. We help companies, governments, agencies and individuals do their homework and due diligence, on the challenges and opportunities associated with these materials.”; in short TMR wants to know more about Josephine County; more to follow!
· The Immediate Change Committee Jody Nigh
1. Skateboard Raffle: Cheri Adkins
2. Jubilee Park Vigil : Shane Simon
Dec 8th @ 4 p.m.
Shane @ 541-218-8278.
“An opportunity is upon us to effect change for the betterment of our community and you are invited to be a part of it.”
+++Apparently there is a City Fee of $45 that we are trying to have waived for this event+++++++++++++++++++++++
· Jail/Juvenile Justice Levy Committee
Pat Fahey updated us!
PETITION COUNT: 300 (13%)
1) Again, Citizens for Securing Our Safety (CSOS) has been formed as the heart and soul of this petition/levy
2) Contact Pat @ firstname.lastname@example.org for Sign-up sheets
3) The focus point of this movement to be the emphasis that the jail and juvenile justice center is the core of our criminal justice system—The Keystone!
4) Please e-mail your detailed questions to me at email@example.com regarding this levy; Questions and Answers shall be posted on a FAQ site on this committee’s website webpage www.securingoursafety.org and then go to this committee’s webpage
5) 4 Signs, something to the effect:“Sign-Up Here for the Jail/JJC Petition” It will/should sell itself! (We now have several “HELP SOS SECURE OUR SAFETY Ask Me How”signs; we need some JAIL/Juvenile Justice Center Petition SIGN-UP HERE signs
6) Manned Stations will be getting organized next week
7) Radio Spots/Press will be getting organized next week
8) The language for the Levy Petition has been completed and will be posted on the website
9) Signature gathering campaign for this
Signature GOAL: 2,300has begun. Please follow the instructions on the Measure Signature Sheet to a T! Otherwise it won’t count.
THIS COMMITTEE SHALL MEET NEXT MONDAY, December 1, 2013 @ 5:00 PM at the Southern Oregon Sanitation Office on Redwood Avenue to strategize this campaign!
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” Unknown
You really ARE making a difference!
WHAT SAY YOU?
MISSION:“A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”