Another great meeting! Jim Frick led the Pledge of Allegiance.
Here are the notes:
· SOS Strategic Plan: Cliff Thomason
SOS Wheel of Fortune edits as follows: place Timber Resources at top; flip Justice Court and Biomass so not upside down on the wheel!
· Lottery Committee: Cliff Thomason the language for this petition is still under review; we are going to need a Strategic Plan for this campaign; our time frame for the required signatures is 6 months—we will need 150,000 signatures to be safe (116,00 valid signatures is required); we must begin outreach to other counties and to other organizations such as The League of Oregon Cities, the Rotary, School Boards, etc.; Cliff said he was going to get Jon Bowen to help with the Lottery Animation Promotion Video
· 10K/5K Run for the Law Committee: Bill West firstname.lastname@example.org March 15, 2014 for more information, visit Bill’s committee’s webpage on our website: www.securingoursafety.org Bill and Holly Lidey made the following points: down payment for timing chips has been made; our run is already on their calendar; working on permits for the run routes; need a caricature for the T-shirt; there are two dollar valued sponsors: Shamrock—over $500 ensures a spot on the T-shirt and Leprechaun (less than $500; cost will be $25 entry fee for adults, kids $20 and—Kid Dash is free; this is an awareness run!; next meeting is December 2, 2013 @ Wild River Restaurant
· Dale Matthews Dale spoke about recalling the entire board of County Commissioners, a “Total Recall”; members of the group objected to the topic in that it had no relevance to our Mission: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”; The group agreed that in the future, topics not in line with our Mission should be vetted through the SOS Board for approval first, before being placed on the agenda; Dale was advised that we are seeking out positive energy to proceed with the success of our Mission; that being said, Dale contributed to the rest of the meeting several times with positive suggestions!
· Justice of Peace Committee: Dave Corsi; Dave updated us on hurdles we are overcoming, the first being a change in language to allow the Justice of the Peace Court to include the County Seat, which would be Grants Pass, like 8 other rural counties in Oregon are permitted to do; Dave’s Committee met this evening and the final draft of that change proposal was approved; it will be presented to the group for approval at next week’s meeting, as well as the language for this Committee’s website page; if you would like to join this committee, please e-mail Dave at email@example.com
· Medically-Assisted-Treatment (MAT) Committee:Toni Webb – Awareness Campaign Brochure; planning of the MAT Center—“If we build it, they will come”; next meeting is at 5:30 PM at the Women’s Health Center on November 21, 2013; e-mail Toni if you would like to join this committee:firstname.lastname@example.org; Toni will update the progress of this Committee next week
· POKER NIGHT Fund Raiser at the Wild River Brew Pub Jay Meredith
ALL IN FOR SAFETY!
SOS Texas Hold’em Fundraiser
Help Us Achieve, “A Citizen-Voiced Plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”
DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?
1stPrize $500 gift card
Top 15 Finishers receive Prizes!
WHEN: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 5:30 PM – 9:30 PM
WHERE: Wild River Brew Pub, 533 NE F Street, Grants Pass
COST: $50 includes stone–oven baked Pizza, salad, and dessert along with your buy-in to the tournament!
ONLY 100 Tickets will be sold!
Here is the online announcement: http://wp.me/p3hQZg-FI
You can also RSVP for a ticket on our Facebook event page: www.facebook.com/events/1417118441853188/
If you would like to sponsor a prize for our fundraiser, please call Jay! (541-218-1227)
TICKET COUNT SOLD TO DATE: 35
Warriors coming thus far include: Jesse Wallace, Jim Goodwin, Jay Meredith, Dave Daniel, Archie Lidey, Holly Lidey, Pat Fahey, Jamie Williams, Mark Bost, John Nicklason, Toni Webb, Craig Simpson, Gary Berlant, Pete Jenista, Karen Jenista, Cliff Thomason, Shane Simon, Ralph Nelson, Toni Webb, Derek Sandin, DJ Willingham and
FYI—SOS would like to recognize Rycke Brown for her contribution to GP and for the little big things she does; last week, Rycke took the Poker Flyer and put it on the back of the one she passes out at the market! Thanks Rycke! Your work does not go unnoticed!
Bill Ertel put out the PRESS RELEASE for the Poker Tournament!
· The Hardrock Mining Committee—What’s the Next Step?Michael Cope/Jay Meredith; Mike and Jay, or Moses and Aaron, updated us on the potential of this amazing resource we have here under our feet; Jay requested that $200 be appropriated from SOS and the Poker Tournament to making an awareness video demonstrating the mining potential in Josephine County; the group approved; this committee shall work on the Summit dates; the mechanics of the lab and how we get it here in Josephine County; and a sign to simplify how we do this; more to follow—go to the website webpage for more info to include information on:
“Rock N’ Earth Research Lab LLC Exec Summary” and a Summary of last week’s Mineral Meeting:The mineral meeting featuring DOGAMI was held on Tuesday, November 12th at 1:30pm and was a well-attended meeting and a very informative meeting. About 50-60 people attended this meeting including two County Commissioners. This was a presentation about the Mineral Wealth of Southern Oregon from Tom Wiley and Andree Pollock from the Department of Geology and Mineral Industries (DOGAMI). They made an excellent presentation and stressed the mineral riches that are in Josephine and Baker Counties.
They also credited Michael Cope (SOS Hard Rock Mining committee chair) with research about Tellurium in Josephine County and confirmed that Tellurium in Josephine County needs to be researched. This is the semiconductor material that is used in Solar panels and could be another source of major economic development in our County if it is feasible to mine – we already know the County has an abundance of precious metals such as gold. The presenters also confirmed the need for a local assay research lab. There is also a summary of the meeting in the Wednesday Daily Courier!
We are in agreement of the importance of a LAB and to make the upcoming SUMMIT a Home Run! More to follow!
· The Immediate Change Committee Jody Nigh
1) Skateboard Raffle: Cheri Adkins
Jubilee Park, Cave Junction
Our Goal is: $1,000
Where are we? We have sold $200. We are far away!
2) Jubilee Park Vigil : Shane Simon We held our first meeting and much headway was made. Here are the details:
The event will be held at Jubilee Park in Cave Junction on Dec 8th @ 4 p.m. The goal of this event is to bring together all members of the community for a vigil in order to signify our stance against crime and violence in the Illinois Valley and Josephine County.
What we need to make this successful:
1. We need every able body that has a stake in a Safe, Secure, and Stable Josephine County to attend this event. This part of our county has seen the blunt end of the violence as of late, and they need to see the Josephine County community standing beside them. You can join the group on Face Book, “Taking Back Jubilee” and add yourself to the event. Please share the event with others.
2. We are in search for: A band or music group to play inspiring music during the candle lighting. We also are in search for a P.A. system and outdoor heaters.
3. Any momentary donations are gladly accepted. Any revenue generated will go for these items above, and other items such as cups and bowls for hot beverages and soups that will be served at this event.
If anyone would like to join the efforts towards this event, please contact Shane Simon @ 541-218-8278.
“An opportunity is upon us to effect change for the betterment of our community and you are invited to be a part of it.”
3) Christmas Parade Grants Pass Jody Nighe (WE have a 1957 SOS Garbage Truck Compliments of Pat Fahey that needs to be filled! More to follow when I receive Jody’s e-mail!!!)
· Fund-Raising Art Show February 6, 2014 (Note the change of date!) Joanne Alvarez, Cheri Adkins and Kay Smith; Kay gave the update:
§ Six Artists have committed to participating and to donating at least one piece of Art: The Glass Forge, Gwen Childs, Lily Schoen, Camille Benedict, JoAnne Alvarez and Karen O’Brien
§ Over 40 e-mails have been sent out
§ The Committee now consists of Chairpersons: Joanne Alvarez, Cheri Adkins and Kay Smith, and Amber Garza, Nadine Patel, Lily Schoen andCamille Benedict
§ Heather Green who is the head of Art at RRC has also been contacted
§ Venue has been established: Roux 26 in Grants Pass
§ Jim Frick as our gregarious Auctioneer!
§ We need to see if we can solicit at least 4 wineries for wine tasting and they will be able to buy glasses of wine at the bar
§ We will have music
§ We want to encourage as many Artists as we can to participate as this will not only be an awareness project for our County and its’ safety, but shall also serve to help Artists get attention
§ The time of the event will be?
§ We need others to help in the process as well/if anyone else knows of any artists who might want to participate, please come forward.
§ WE NEED A FLYER!
· Mr. Corona Re-Invests in Grants Pass! Mr. Corona spoke about re-opening the Portola Park store and how he will be creating 6 jobs and giving back to our community; he spoke briefly about his recovering love of his life-Esperanza; we are fortunate to have people like Mr. Corona fighting side-by-side! Thank you!
· Jail/Juvenile Justice Levy Committee
Pat Fahey will update us next week!
1) Again, Citizens for Securing Our Safety (CSOS) has been formed as the heart and soul of this petition/levy
2) Sign-up sheets will be at the final week of the Saturday Market this week again—Erin Smith-Mateja, Cheri Adkins Holly Lidey will be manning the table this Saturday!
3) The focus point of this movement to be the emphasis that the jail and juvenile justice center is the core of our criminal justice system—The Keystone!
4) Please e-mail your detailed questions to me at email@example.com regarding the levy; The above questions shall be posted on a FAQ site on this committee’s website webpage www.securingoursafety.org and then go to this committee’s webpage
5) 4 Signs, something to the effect: “Sign-Up Here for the Jail/JJC Petition” It will sell itself!
6) Manned Stations
7) Radio Spots/Press
8) The language for the Levy Petition has been completed and passed about the group; this will be posted on the website
9) Signature gathering campaign for this
Signature GOAL: 2,300 has begun. Please follow the instructions on the Measure Signature Sheet to a T! Otherwise it won’t count.
· Timber Committee Update Next Week with Jim Frick
· Citizen-Voiced Plan Update Next Week with Jay Meredith
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” Unknown
You really ARE making a difference!
WHAT SAY YOU?
MISSION: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”