Here are the notes from last week’s meeting:
· T-Shirts at the Book Lore Gordon Edstrom (Update on ordering process) Book Lore 122 SE H Street, Grants Pass, OR (541) 471-4945; will begin after first of the year
· County Update Keith Heck spoke regarding the Justice of the Peace Court as a long term funding source, but that we are right in taking immediate steps that need to be completed; Justice of the Peace Court Committee Captain Dave Corsi needs to present legislative proposal ASAP!
· Jail/Juvenile Justice Levy Committee – Pat Fahey
PETITION COUNT: 350 (17%)
GOAL is 2,100
Who composes this committee? Cheri Adkins, Connie Roach, Dennis Ward, and John McCafferty; Pat spoke of strategies for signature gathering, which included meetings with Women’s Crisis, Library, Kiwanis, Rotary, Pastor’s Association, Chamber of Commerce, Zonta, Masons, Realtor Associations, etc.; if you are a member of one of said groups or of a different group, please let us know so we can begin getting these petitions signed!; Pat also spoke about the editorial he was writing to address some of the concerns people were having with this concept; we also addressed getting large simple signs made and advertising for locations where people can go to sign up!; Pat’s committee is meeting every Monday Night at his Southern Oregon Sanitation (SOS) Office on Redwood Avenue every Monday @ 5:00 PM; if you would like to join this committee, e-mail Pat: email@example.com
· The Hardrock Mining Committee—What’s the Next Step? Michael Cope/Jay Meredith Michael spoke about the LAB and TMR further; it is very clear that this conversation needs to continue over and over!; http://www.techmetalsresearch.com ; “TMR provides market intelligence, commentary and analysis on the rare earths, graphite and other critical and strategic materials. We help companies, governments, agencies and individuals do their homework and due diligence, on the challenges and opportunities associated with these materials.”; in short TMR wants to know more about Josephine County; more to follow!
· POKER NIGHT Fund Raiser at the Wild River Brew Pub
ALL IN FOR SAFETY!
SOS Texas Hold’em Fundraiser
Help Us Achieve, “A Citizen-Voiced Plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”
Top 20 Finishers receive Prizes!
WHERE: Wild River Brew Pub, 533 NE F Street, Grants Pass
COST: $50 includes stone–oven baked Pizza, salad, and dessert along with your buy-in to the tournament!
ONLY 100 Tickets will be sold!
Here is the online announcement: http://wp.me/p3hQZg-FI
WE SOLD OUT!
· Fund-Raising Art Show February 6, 2014 Joanne Alvarez, Cheri Adkins and Kay Smith; Kay spoke about where we were at and why this event was necessary and important; Next Meeting @ 6:30 PM, Wednesday, December 4, 2013 (location is JoAnne’s home)
· Medically-Assisted-Treatment (MAT) Committee Toni Webb/Frank Morin
We reviewed the STATS again:
“The percentage increase is huge, and might be the best way to present the numbers. I added the percentage increase to his (DA Campbell’s) numbers below in RED.
Please find below the stats we were able to pull from our data system. Case type means that we had criminal charges not necessarily drug charges (but including them) where we knew based upon the defendant or the police reports that heroin had some influence on the case. We try to code as many of those cases as we can in our system. Sometimes we miss them. Sometimes heroin is playing a role and we simply don’t have that information. Put simply, the stats are if anything – low.
The stats where the charge included “heroin” includes all charges where we found the drug and either it was being possessed, delivered, or manufactured.
CASE TYPE = Heroin
11/26/12 to 11/25/13 = 119 cases 385% increase over last year
(That’s 2 1/2 Heroin cases PER WEEK)
11/26/11 to 11/25/12 = 31 cases 61% increase over the previous year
11/26/10 to 11/25/11 = 19 cases
CHARGE includes the word Heroin
11/26/12 to 11/25/13 = 67 cases 830% increase over last year
11/26/11 to 11/25/12 = 8 cases
11/26/10 to 11/25/11 = 7 cases
This does not include all of the opiates (prescription medications), just heroin!
· Mark Seligman’s house burnt down in Selma
· The Immediate Change Committee Jody Nigh
1. Skateboard Raffle: Cheri Adkins
2. Jubilee Park Vigil : Shane Simon
Dec 8th @ 4 p.m.
Shane @ 541-218-8278.
“An opportunity is upon us to effect change for the betterment of our community and you are invited to be a part of it.”
+++Apparently there is a City Fee of $45 that we are trying to have waived for this event+++++++++++++++++++++++
3. Christmas Parade Grants Pass Jody Nighe (WE have a 1957 SOS Garbage Truck Compliments of Pat Fahey that needs to be filled! When: Saturday, December 7TH Where: Parking Lot of Logan Design @ 6:30 PM for the 7:00 PM parade, which will be leaving the Bank of America Parking Lot at 7:00 PM; if you want to participate, please e-mail Jody @firstname.lastname@example.org
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” Unknown
You really ARE making a difference!
WHAT SAY YOU?
MISSION: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”