These are the meeting notes from December 17, 2013.
Our next meeting will be January 7, 2014 at the Wild River Brew Pub located at 533 NE F Street, in Grants Pass, from 5:15 PM-6:15 PM.
“Well done is better than well said.”
We spoke about how important it was for us to solicit a simple public statement by the Josephine County Board of County Commissioners (BCC), which simply reflects how, “Public Safety is the #1 priority for county government in Josephine County.” We agreed that something so base should be a given, but the rumblings of mistrust Pat Fahey brought to our attention at a recent meeting he attended in Wolf Creek, could be tempered with something that simple. Many people indicate that they still don’t trust the Commissioners, which is difficult to digest given the fact that Cherryl Walker and Keith Heck just got there. We got to work on the trust aspect of leadership. Trust is earned through acts. We need to be tolerant of each other, forgiving and realize that we are going to all have to work together to get this place up on its feet again. SOS agreed to write a letter asking for such a commitment and public notice to be made by the BCC. Keith Heck stated at our meeting that public safety in Josephine County was his priority. I believe him.
- Jail/Juvenile Justice Levy Committee
Pat Fahey gave us an UPDATE
PETITION COUNT: 400 ( 20%)
GOAL is 2,100
- The group voted “YES” for 4 Signs which read: “SIGN HERE for the Josephine County Jail/Juvenile Justice Levy”/shall be purchased (Cliff Thomason shall see that task through)
- Pat is working on his Editorial
- Connie Roach volunteered to maintain the FAQ section of this committee’s website webpage
- Pat’s committee is meeting every Monday Night at his Southern Oregon Sanitation (SOS) Office on Redwood Avenue every Monday @ 5:00 PM (next meeting is on January 6, 2014!)
- Pat is in need of a SCRIBE or a “Robin” to keep his website webpage up-to-date
- Join this committee, e-mail Pat: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Lottery Committee Cliff Thomason
- This committee grew by two members this night; welcome Mark Gatlin andCheri Adkins
- We are still waiting for the blessing from the Oregon Supreme Court with respect to the wording of the Referendum; Cliff estimates that time to be within the next month, an answer for the November 2014 Ballot!
- Join this committee, e-mail Cliff: email@example.com
- What’s the Next Step?
- Jay agreed to be the Scribe or the “Robin”
- Check out this article relative to mining:http://securingoursafety.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Southern-Oregon-Spokesman-January-1926.pdf (which can also be viewed on our Mining Committee page on our website)
5. POKER NIGHT REPORT: Jay Meredith
- $33 tax deductible receipts are available upon request for those participants who played in the game but did not take home a prize
- The event was a great AWARENESS success (92 PLAYERS) which netted SOS approximately $2,500!
- Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
- For more info relative to Winners, Photos, and other event details, visit: www.securingoursafety.org
6. Animal Shelter Levy Larry West
- Larry gave a presentation on the proposed .08 cents/$1,000 Animal Shelter Levy (three year levy)
- He spoke of mutual support between this group and the group promoting the Jail/Juvenile Justice Levy in May (at the same time)
- This group realized the importance of the need for animal control, but questioned the timeliness
- More will have to be done in the future to arrive at some mutual understanding and cooperation (more to follow!)
7. Medically-Assisted-Treatment (MAT) Committee Toni Webb
- The Brochure is FINALLY done! We passed the final version around and had one minor hiccup as noted by Dr. Steven Marshak, which we corrected
- SOS shall contribute: $100
- OPTIONS shall contribute: $400
- And Rebecca Peterson has also donated $100 towards this cause!
- The Meeting at Women’s Health Center on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 @ 5:30 PM was a great success (refer to this group’s web page on the SOS site for an additional detailed update!)
- See the two pages of the Flyer here: http://securingoursafety.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/MAT-C-page1-12-23-2013.jpg and http://securingoursafety.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/MAT-C-page2-12-23-2013.jpg
- Join this committee, e-mail Toni: firstname.lastname@example.org
8. The Immediate Change Committee
- Jody Nigh/Rycke Brown said we should change the name of this committee to be more on line with “It’s the little things” or “Little Things Committee”
- then Rycke made us guess what she had in her bag:
Rycke seems to always epitomize how the small things are so important in a community’s success! Thank you Rycke!
Skateboard Raffle: Cheri Adkins is something we really need to focus on after the Holidays!
- Holly gave us an update for this AWARENESS RUN!
- We have the REGISTRATION for the Run for the Law established on our website
- The next BIG meeting for this Committee is January 9, 2014 at Club Northwest @ 5:15 PM
- Join this committee, e-mail Bill: email@example.com
St. Patrick’s Day Run For The Law
10k Run or 5k Walk/Run & Kid’s Dash
March 15, 2014
▲Run our 10k or walk/run our 5k course starting and ending at Club Northwest with chip timing! Starts at 8:30am March 15th. Kid’s dash for youth 12 and under will start promptly at 8:40am.
▲Race awards include: $150 for 1st place overall; $75 for 2nd place overall; a metal/keychain for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place male and female overall and in each age category for runs.
▲Everyone participating in the kid’s dash will receive a ribbon. All participants will receive race packet filled with coupons or items donated by sponsors.
▲Registration for run includes a free ticket in the raffle for an iPad! Additional tickets can be purchased on race day for $5.00 each. Drawing will be held after the race, need NOT be present to win.
▲Check out our vendors near the start/finish line for food, merchandise, and other fun items.
▲Long sleeve dry wick Adult shirts and short sleeve dry wick kids shirts available for order until March 1st. Order in advance to guarantee getting one, limited supply available race day!! Adults $13.50, Kids $12.00
▲Early registration fees are $25 for 10k; $20 for 5k; 18 years or younger $15 for any race. Kid’s dash is FREE! THERE IS A LATE FEE OF $5.00 IF REGISTERING THE DAY OF THE RACE!
▲Donations and sponsors are much appreciated! FREE t-shirt given to anyone donating $250 or more!
Leprechaun sponsors ($500 or more) will be promoted on back of the shirts and on the SOS website.
Shamrock sponsors (less than $500) will be promoted on the SOS website.
Donations, as well as proceeds from run & raffle will go to the nonprofit organization called Securing Our Safety, a group dedicated to finding alternatives for funding law enforcement in Josephine County.
For more information contact: Holly Lidey (541) 660-8186 or go to www.securingoursafety.org
Register on line at https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=9850
Register by mail
Click this link: Mail In Registration Form
11. Fund-Raising Art Show February 6, 2014 Joanne Alvarez, Cheri Adkins, Kay Smith, Camille Benedictand Nadine Patel
- Website webpage to follow
- Flyer completed by Cami Benedict, copies being made by Dave Corsi
- Wineries participating thus far are Troon and Fiasco
- 17 Artists have donated for this event thus far!!!
- 1. Decisions were made with how to present the tickets at the door with the wine tasting tickets…each person will receive a door prize ticket with 4 wine tasting tickets to each table. Nadine will purchase the tickets.
- 2. Tax receipt will be given upon request to any quest who requests one. Joanne will print them off.
- 3. Contact will be made with Jeff Gogue to enter his tattoo work for auctioning.
- 4. 100 flyers will be printed off for now in the 1 sheet form and then at a later date maybe a brochure will be printed with the wineries listed.
- 5. Thank you card will be sent to all artists and wineries who donated thanking them with 2 tickets to the art auction and a tax form. Kay will donate the beautiful cards with her artwork on the front. Nice and personal.
- 6. Each chairperson with pick 10 targets to place the flyers @. Archie will get the flyers printed off this week.
- 7. Chairpersons will do a walk around at Roux 26 for placing the artwork in January.
- 8. Advertising on the radio KCMB will be targeted by Nadine…Kajo is to be contacted by Cheri. Nadine will contact persons at The Courier.
- 9. Chairpersons agreed on Joanne’s Cakepops as a door prize.
- 10. The 4 wineries are the sponsors.
- Next Meeting is at JoAnne’s house on January 2, 2014 @ 5:30 PM
- Join this committee, e-mail JoAnne: firstname.lastname@example.org
We ARE making a difference!
MISSION: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”