Here are the notes from last Tuesday’s Meeting:
“Run for the Law”
How many Warriors have registered so far?
We ended up with 310 total runners and walkers in the 5k/10k and an additional estimated 50-60 kids for the Kids Dash!!!
- PACKET / TIMING CHIP PICK-UP: was RACE morning, Saturday, March 15, 2014, at Club Northwest from 0700-0815 AM
- The “Kid’s Dash” started at 8:30 AM, and it was completed before the other races which began at 8:40 AM!
Lottery Committee (now a separate Political Committee)
Cliff Thomason/Jay Meredith
- Cliff is running about the state meeting and greeting Oregonians from all over—he’s discussing the Lottery Local Control Act as well as making inroads and building relationships with others who have the same vision of “citizen-voiced plans for secure, stable and sustainable homes,” researching how we can be more effective
- Follow Cliff’s travels on Cliff’s BLOG which you can access from our website: www.securingoursafety.org
- SOS is paying Cliff a minimal stipend to offset loss income as he conducts valuable research for our cause! Thank you Cliff for your dedication and sacrifice for Josephine County
- About The Lottery Local Control ActLocal government and local schools know best what the highest priorities are for available funding. Local control is a win for ALL of Oregon.Want to help or donate? Please join our email list by sending an email to LotteryLocalControl@yahoo.com – for NOVEMBER 2014
The Oregon State Lottery Can Do Better Things…
Chief Petitioners: Cliff Thomason, Josephine County Businessman; Patti Milne, Marion County Commissioner; Wayne Simmons, Polk County Farmer
- We need: 150,000 signatures by July 3, 2014
- You can download a petition from www.lotterylocalcontrol.com sign it and mail it in!
- The support for this measure is HUGE with a margin of greater than 3-1; the only major concern right now is whether or not we can get the needed signatures by the deadline of July 3, 2014; if we can’t, we are still set up for the 2016 Election
- WHAT SAY YOU?
- Join this committee firstname.lastname@example.org
Jail/Juvenile Justice Levy Committee (separate PAC organization) UPDATE Pat Fahey
- Communications Committee
- Fundraising Committee
- Phone Banking Committee
- Sign Committee
- IT Committee
- Campaign Literature
- Precinct Walking Committee
- Letter Writing Committee
IF you have questions that you have encountered regarding the upcoming levy, please forward them to Pat Fahey ASAP. Please, don’t be shy! email@example.com
Connie Roach shall capture and ensure questions are posted and answered.
Recently, I encountered the following QUESTIONS:
- How much money will the Sheriff’s Office receive when the levy passes and current general funds are redirected from the jail?
- How much money will the DA’s Office receive when the levy passes and current general funds are redirected from the jail?
- Why bother with a levy when the Oregon State Police have picked up “the slack”?
All of these questions and answers shall be placed on this committee’s FAQ page
NEXT MEETING IS AT TAPROCK ON MONDAY, MARCH 17, 2014 @ 5:15 PM!
Julian Silva stepped up—AGAIN—and went to Salem, AFSCME, told them our plight and after hearing how our citizens were fighting for a safe community, they wrote out a check for CSOS for $2,500 Julien handed it to Pat at Tuesday’s Meeting! Great job Julien!
Pat said that the Chamber of Commerce, MRIPA, the Towne Center have all stepped up and shall be sponsoring an argument FOR the levy in the upcoming voting pamphlet.
Pat’s committee shall be sending out 1904 Thank You cards to the people who signed the petition to get it on the ballot and shall be asking those people for continued support!
There will be pro-levy ads in the Sneak Preview in April and in May
Join this committee, e-mail Pat: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Hardrock Mining Committee
What’s the Next Step?
Michael Cope/Jay Meredith
Southern Oregon Mineral Summit
When: May 10, 2014
Where: Grants Pass City Council Chambers
Featured Speaker will be “Gareth Hatch”
MAT-C Committee Meeting
Michelle O’Brien/Toni Webb
This group continues to gain momentum and support
They are completing a MAT-C triage model as well as a Mission Statement specific to the center
They are working on a power point presentation they hope to have completed soon to accompany their well-received pamphlets
NEXT MEETING: Women’s Health Center Wednesday, March 26, 2014 @ 5:00 PM! See you there!
Join this committee! E-mail Michelle: Michele.Obrien@sogoodwill.org
April Awareness EVENTS
- CJ Victim’s Forum—It was decided that we have a Victim’s Forum at the Wild River Brewery in CJ in April—possibly on April 10, 2014; Mark Gatlin has stepped up and will be the Event Coordinator! Thanks Mark!
- JJC Vigil—we are going to have a vigil outside of the Juvenile Justice Center in GP, on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM; Terry Soeteber and Jim Goodwin are the coordinators; We want to let the kids know, they are not forgotten! Flyers for this vigil shall be passed out tomorrow at the run!
New Stat Article by Frank Morin
Traffic Crash Fatalities in Josephine County NEED for SPEED is up on our website! Please go to www.securingoursafety.org to read it!
Saturday Market Stand Sign-Ups
Let us know when you are available to work a 4 hour block one of these upcoming Saturdays at the market in Grants Pass! It’s fun!
A proposal was made to the group, for SOS to purchase an iPad for an official SOS Secretary, to take notes at the weekly SOS meetings. The proposal required that the Secretary simply commit to the scribing of weekly notes and in return, get to keep the iPad for their efforts.
Frank Morin has been kind enough to donate the tablet. Now we need a Secretary. If you think you can do that job, e-mail us. The group said it will decide on an interview process!
SOS Radio we are working on a non-political weekly 1-hour radio show, where ideas are vetted, which can help us achieve our mission—more to follow next week!
Next Week: Justice of the Peace Court Update; a Casual Conversation About More Troopers in Josephine County with OSP Superintendent Rich Evans; Run Results!!!
MISSION: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”