1) RESTORE (Jeff Wolf) Discussed various topics for this separate organization.
2) Victim’s Forum SOS will be sponsoring a VICTIM’s FORUM next Tuesday, May 14, 2013 @ 6:30 PM at the Grants Pass City Council Chambers; This will NOT be a political event!!!; Victims all throughout Josephine County will be invited to attend and share their stories and frustrations with the Criminal Justice System; Members of the Criminal Justice System will be on hand to listen and direct victims to resources still in tact; this will be a moment to share, heal, know you are not alone and shall be a step towards hope! This will be moderated by a TV personality (yet to be announced) along with Pat Fahey; thus far, GPDPS Chief Joe Henner, Deputy Chief Bill Landis, Josephine County Community Parole and Probation Director Abe Huntley have agreed to participate; more to follow!
3) Memorial Day Parade Float (Cheri Adkins) The theme of our float shall be our children and the group agreed that is who shall ride the float!
4) T-Shirts ($6 Each/Cheri Adkins) We will be asking all of the SOS members to wear their T-shirts throughout May in support of the Criminal Justice System; e-mail me if you want a T-shirt; they will be for sale at the Saturday Market!
5) Opioid Clinic Update(Toni Webb and Felicia Cohen) were recognized for their continued efforts with the Opioid Clinic; I shared several stories; again, here is Toni’s recap of the last meeting:
Two young women joined our meeting last Thursday to share their insights and experience with drug treatment and the methadone clinic. One woman had been through treatment; the other woman is still in treatment. They both had good advice on how treatment can be improved, and I will pass along their experiences to Kim Sanderson, the regional vice president for CRC (runs the clinic in Medford).
Toni met with Kim Sanderson last week; the Vice President of Business Development for CRC will be on the West Coast in a week or so. She is going to try to arrange for him to visit Grants Pass. They are serious about re-opening the methadone clinic here. We could have a methadone treatment program before the end of the year. Since theMedford clinic will be moving further south this month, we need a clinic here in Josephine County.
CRC will be looking for 2500+ of space, preferably in a stand-alone building. Preferably a space that has been a medical office or similar space. Crucial requirement is that the space must be more than 1000 feet away from daycare or school. Please send out the word to anyone who is in commercial real estate or has empty building space; have them call me at 541-450-3878. We also need the City and County to go through their inventory to see if they have empty space for this project.
Karen Wheeler, Administrator with Oregon Health Authority, has planned a conference call for May 13th. Several of us will be on the call; if you are interested, please email me. We will have a report on the progress at the next meeting:
Thursday, May 16th 5:30pm Women’s Health Center
Questions, comments, suggestions? Please let me know,
6) School Board Liaison (Gary Penning) I will be meeting with the school Board this week to discuss some of our issues; more to follow
7)Property/Resource (Phil Killian, Dave Corsi, Pat Fahey and Jay Meredith) We discussed briefly how we are in the process of finding a location for our Opioid Clininc
8)SOS Refunding Committee UPDATE (Carl Raskins) We will be assigning shifts for the following posts: Umpqua Bank 0900-1300 Saturday, May 11, 2013 and Redwood SOS 1000-1400 Saturday, May 11, 2013; Redwood SOS1000-1400 Sunday, May 12, 2013; Bill West and Carl gave us an update on their success; Media Coverage! (Bill Ertel)
9)Sobering Center Update (Bill Landis) I gave a quick update on the center, which continues to proceed
10) Lottery Update(Cliff Thomason); Cliff shared his victimization story; he will give us an update next meeting to include Klamath Falls
12) Question InventoryJosephine County Commissioner Keith Heck was not in attendance, but he did provide me with:
1. If the County finds an alternative revenue source, can the levy end early?
a. Yes, the duration of time cannot exceed 3 years without a vote of the people but could be less if circumstances change.
2. How much is the proposed County levy?
a. The maximum amount that could be levied is $1.48 per $1,000 assessed property value.
3. Are the County Commissioners going to refund O&C moneys to the Tax Levy participants?
a. The Board of County Commissioners cannot refund O & C funds; but they will reduce the $1.48 tax levy on the assessed value of your property if Secure Rural School funds are received by Josephine County
KEEP THE QUESTIONS COMING!!!
Thank you all for your energy and support for our home!