Here are the notes from last Tuesday’s Meeting:
· The Lottery Committee Refund Research Project
Did We Make It?
Jay Meredith gave us an update on our amount raised; we were to have an answer with respect to TOTAL by this past Thursday but brutal work schedules have challenged our final donor responses; we will know if we achieved our $30,000 by this Tuesday.
· Multi-Tier Taxing District–Kris Woodburn, Chris Mecca, Pat Fahey, and Connie Roach UPDATE: Pat Fahey updated us and briefly related how within the next two weeks his committee will have a draft of a Proposal in the form of a Levy; as soon as the draft has been completed, we will have a special section on our website dedicated to the research for this effort
Question Bank Thus Far:
When will this Levy go on the ballot?
What will dollar amount be?
What will this Levy provide for?
What is the life of this levy?
Why is it called a “building block”?
Why is the funding-stream for the Criminal Justice System being referred to as a multi-prong approach?
How do we address those who live in rural county areas when they complain the levy doesn’t do anything for them?
How does this Levy have the potential to free up other monies for rural Sheriff Patrols and the DA’s Office?
When is this Committee’s next meeting?
Where do people in the rural county areas shop? Work?
· Josephine County Fair Tom Dorman (Dates August 14-17 Sign-Ups) The Fair is “on”; I will be sending out the sign-up form to work the booth this weekend; it will be manned from 12-4 PM and 4-8 PM daily
· Debate Committee Update Matthew Eldridge firstname.lastname@example.org
The Debate will be on September 17, 2013 at the North Valley High School; Topics: 1) Suing the Federal Government 2) National Guard 3) Logging 4) Multi-Tiered District; We plan to have the Governor of Oregon and all of the Sheriffs from all 4 counties at this event; Matthew is still working out the logistics but it is coming together… More to follow!
· Mining in Josephine County
Michael Cope email@example.com
AMR’s Documentary Video on the Benton Mine along with American Mining Research’s (AMR) Bios:
This committee under the leadership of Michael continues to make great strides and the potential for this resource bringing decent-family-paying jobs into our county is exciting!
· SOS Makes Economic Development Recommendation to the JoCo Board of County Commissioners Jay Meredith – Jay spoke about the letter that was drafted and sent to the Josephine County Board of County Commissioners suggesting how to utilize a portion of said funds; we are going to really need to get behind this as a group to cause action—more to follow!
· Why is the Grants Pass Public Safety Levy so IMPORTANT to Josephine County? (Bill Landis) gave us an update on the Sobering Center as well as the importance of the success of the City Public Safety Levy; Bill spoke about Asante and The Mission’s role in the Sobering Center and what we can expect from the center once the center is completed—more to follow!
· SOS Awareness Fall 5K Walk/Run Bill West firstname.lastname@example.org Bill started to reveal plans for the walk/run; date, time and venue to follow! Bill wants to make this a large community event, continuing our theme of knitting our home together! More to follow!
· SOS Strategic Plan Jay Meredith – CONNECTING our dots via our committees; in the next few weeks, we want to inventory/clean up all of our committees; have each committee develop a mission statement and goal in line with SOS’ basic goal of: “A Citizen-Voiced Plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”; bottom line, if we have a committee it needs to be doing something—“If it doesn’t pay the rent, get rid of it!”; for example—we have a timber Advisory Committee to the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) that doesn’t seem to be moving that industry in our county—it was suggested that SOS get behind a letter to the BCC to get moving on harvesting timber resources in the wake of the fires—WHAT SAY YOU???
1. Timber Committee-Jim Frick
2. Opioid Committee-Toni Webb
3. Sobering Center Committee-Bill Landis
4. Trust/Transparency and Education Committee-Bill Ertel/Holly Lidey
5. Efficiencies/Public and Private Partnerships-Laurie Norman/Toni Webb
6. Mining Committee-Michael Cope
7. BioMass Committee-Cheri Adkins
8. Refundable Committee-Carl Raskins
9. Multi-Tier Tasking Committee-Kris Woodburn, Chris Mecca, Pat Fahey and Jay Meredith
10. Sales Tax Committee-Jay Meredith
11. County Property Resource Committee-David Corsi
12. Property Tax Variations-Jeff Wolf
13. Lottery Fund Committee-Cliff Thomason
14. Justice of the Peace Court- David Corsi
15. Debate Committee-Matthew Eldridge
· Public Forum on Criminal Justice Pat Fahey will keep us up to date on this idea—more o follow!
MISSION: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”