“If you’ll not settle for anything less than your best, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish in your lives.” Vince Lombardi
Jim gave a good presentation on what the Vigil will be about and why the Juvenile Justice Center (JJC) is so important. We agreed that the JJC should actually be larger than the jail—as correcting behavior of our youth is paramount—sometimes with adults, it’s too late. The amount of homeless kids on streets—what do you do with a youth who you can’t get ahold of their parents during the night? In the past, they were placed in the Juvenile Center until Parents arrived. Now it isn’t open and there isn’t place to put them but back on the street. People don’t realize two years later that we don’t have the services for youth.
We should be changing behavior at the juvenile level – then we would need a smaller jail.
WHERE: Juvenile Justice Center in GP
WHEN: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM
WHO WILL BE SPEAKING? Possibly retired Judge Kuhn and a person whose life was changed as a result of the Juvenile Center
E-mail us if you need a Flyer for this EVENT!!!
New Stat Article by Frank Morin
“State Troopers are not the Fix” is up on our website! Please go to www.securingoursafety.org to read it! Frank’s article has been well received and many of you have expressed a desire to make that article another OP ED as well—WHAT SAY YOU?
Here is just one of the many responses we have received from Frank’s article:
I have been interviewed several times but have never read my interview anywhere. My response to the issue is that more presence from OSP is welcome as we go through these trying times, but should in no way be construed as a replacement of a counties justice system. We do need to resolve our current situation and find a level of protection and service that we can agree on.
Thanks for all of your help in this very important issue. I think if we can get the facts out to the people we will make progress solving our public safety issue.
Senator Herman Baertschiger Jr.
Great point Senator! Great job Frank! In Frank’s next article, he will factually be tracking the number of Measure 11 Crimes that have occurred in Josephine County since the depletion of our Criminal Justice System. As we know, we the depletion of the Sheriff’s Office and rural patrols, communication in the entire County has suffered. Frank will explain what Measure 11 Crimes in Oregon are and examine not only if there is an actual increase in the number of Measure 11 Crimes in our County, but whether the Measure 11 Crimes have increased in the City of Grants Pass.
Phone Banking Committee
Precinct Walking Committee
Letter Writing Committee
IF you have questions that you have encountered regarding the upcoming levy, please forward them to Pat Fahey ASAP. Please, don’t be shy! firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting at 5:15 pm every Monday at the SOS office on Redwood Avenue
Connie Roach and Archie Lidey shall capture and ensure questions are posted and answered by people in our community who have the factual answers.
Dan Runyon suggested, “If everyone of us went out and told 5 people to vote, and then they told 5 people, and so on and so on…”
Let’s do it!
Commissioner OP ED as to where the General Fund will be redirected? Will be discussed at this Committee’s Meeting next Monday due to political concerns.
- How much money is currently directed from the General Fund to the Jail? To the Juvenile Justice Center?
- How much money will the Sheriff’s Office receive when the levy passes and current general funds are redirected from the jail?
- How much money will the DA’s Office receive when the levy passes and current general funds are redirected from the jail?
- Why bother with a levy when the Oregon State Police have picked up “the slack”?
Pat Fahey is working on a guest editorial/OP ED for the Daily Courier.
- Someone suggested, that because there is so much distrust in government – have a statement from Commissioners saying they support the levy and the use of the money. This topic should be discussed at the CSOS meeting
- For those that are social media gurus, we could use many more people spreading the word on Facebook, etc. We’re going to be talking about this in the Tuesday SOS meeting
- We should use the Q&As we put together for the chamber video plus all the Q&As we have up on the SOS for a new “FAQ” or “Q&A” page on the CSOS website. Roy Lindsay will drop all of them in a word doc and email them out.
- All the names on the supporter’s page on the site is impressive…hopefully that list gets much longer!
NEXT MEETING is at the SOS Office on Redwood Avenue, Grants Pass, on Monday, April 14, 2014 @ 5:15 PM!Join this committee, e-mail Pat: email@example.com
Jim Frick will update next week!
- Website Webpage Updated
- Join this Committee, e-mail Jim Frick @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Sobering Center Committee
Bill Landis will update next week!
- Great article in Daily Courier last night regarding the Sobering Center
- City Council will decide tonight if the proposed site for the Sobering Center will be approved
- Website Webpage will be getting updated
- Join this Committee, e-mail Bill Landis @ email@example.com
“Run for the Law”
Bill West has agreed to chair this Committee again for next year’s run with the same crew. They shall begin monthly meetings soon! Thanks Bill!
Updated Website Webpage
MAT-C triage model
Power Point presentation
NEXT MEETING: Women’s Health Center Wednesday, April 23, 2014 @ 5:00 PM!
Join this committee! E-mail Michelle: Michele.Obrien@sogoodwill.org
Cliff Thomason/Jay Meredith will update next week!
- WHERE IS CLIFF? Shall continue where you can follow Cliff’s daily travels on Cliff’s BLOG which you can access from our website: www.securingoursafety.org
- UPDATED Webpage on Website
- We are waiting for the 2016 Election
- Cliff will gather 1,000 new signatures outside Josephine County for us to proceed
- Cliff’s Strategic PLAN
- July Fundraising Event “Cops and Robbers” Ball? POKER?
- 35 COUNTIES with SOS Outposts/Map by Gordon Edstrom
- When are we starting the next DRIVE for 2016?
- WHAT SAY YOU?
Join this committee firstname.lastname@example.org
SOS is pleased to announce our new Secretary: Kay Smith! Frank Morin shall be awarding her with a tablet to take notes on and keep an account of our activities. Thanks Kay for stepping up!
LASTLY, Grants Pass Department of Public Safety Chief Bill Landis wrote an excellent article he entitled:
Jails and Juvenile Departments: Necessary for Safe Communities
I propose this should be an SOS sponsored OP ED in the Daily Courier? It will be featured on our website!
WHAT SAY YOU?
MISSION: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”