Good Evening SOS!
Our next meeting will be tomorrow, February 4, 2014, at the Wild River Brew Pub located at 533 NE F Street, in Grants Pass, from 5:15 PM-6:15 PM.
Why raising awareness is so important!
As a result of the fire season, and the subsequent timber sales of over 80,000 burnt acreage, Josephine County had 1,000 truck-loads of timber sales
With 55,000 acres of burnt BLM lands, only 3,400-3,500 acres have been harvested
- Jim spoke about the danger of reforestation of private lands if the Federal Lands do not follow suit, because the investment would be dangerous if the same type of sale-clean-up is not conducted…
- County Timber Survey
- County Reforestation Funds
- Join this committee, e-mail Jim: firstname.lastname@example.org
THURSDAY is the DAY! If you don’t have one yet, get a ticket and come to our Criminal Justice System AWARENESS EVENT:
AWARENESS Raising Art Show
February 6, 2014
Joanne Alvarez, Cheri Adkins, Kay Smith, Camille Benedict and Nadine Patel
- We have 28 Artists
- Check out the ART on FACEBOOK (SOS Art Auction)
- There are 35 pieces of donated art!
- The ART is good!!!
- We have sold 85 Tickets!
- WE Still Have Tickets!
- Tickets are only $25 and include Hors Devor… Buy one for your friend!
- Jim Frick is the Auctioneer!
- Don Monetti from KCMD shall be “MC” for the event
- Where? Roux 26 in Grants Pass (We will have the entire restaurant and plan to fill it!
- When? February 6, 2014 from 6PM-9PM
- What does the $25 ticket include? 4 tickets for 4 wine tastes, a raffle ticket andhors d’oeuvre:
1) Smoked Salmon/Goat Cheese
3) Bruschetta w/Vinaigrette
4) Pumpkin with Curry spread
6) Chicken Teriyaki
7) Fried Artichoke Hearts
- There will be a Harpist and maybe, just maybe, JoAnne Alvarez will dance?
- Wineries participating are Troon, Bridgeview, Schmidt and Fiasco
- Next Meeting is at JoAnne’s house on February 4, 2014 @ 6:00 PM
- Go on-line to purchase tickets or e-mail Nadine Patel at email@example.com
- Peter Tamshiro also has tickets and you can contact him at his business at Platinum Financial or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join this committee, e-mail JoAnne: email@example.com
Jail/Juvenile Justice Levy Committee (PAC) UPDATE Pat Fahey
- WE have 15 days left!
- 33 people have collected and turned in signed petitions
- total signatures to date: 2029
- 1765 appear to be valid
- estimate need of 300 additional valid signatures for a safe margin
- PLEASE FINISH THIS OUT! Bring all of your petitions to Tuesday’s Meeting!
- Connie Roach/FAQ Section—These questions shall be posted on the website this weekend! IF you have questions that you have encountered regarding the upcoming levy, please forward them to Pat Fahey ASAP. Please, don’t be shy! firstname.lastname@example.org
- THE NEXT STEP!
- Join this committee, e-mail Pat: email@example.com
The Hardrock Mining Committee Update Michael Cope/Jay Meredith
- What’s the Next Step?
- The Summit!
- A letter to the BCC from the Hardrock Mining
- Join this committee, e-mail Michael: firstname.lastname@example.org
ANIMAL SHELTER LEVY UPDATE CARL RASKINS
New Stat Article by Frank Morin
It’s Raining Cats and Dogs
Ever wonder what happens to stray dogs and cats in this area?
I never worried about it. In fact, I didn’t really see an issue. Turns out, the reason I didn’t
see hundreds of loose animals running wild through the city and county is because the Josephine County Animal Shelter quietly works every day to make sure that doesn’t happen.
In fact, in 2013 the animal shelter took in over 1700 dogs and cats, plus some other weird cases like alpacas, goats, pigs, and rabbits. In fact, they received on average 147 dogs and cats every month.
That’s 36 animals every week. Or 5 animals every single day!
That’s a lot of animals. And amazingly, they found homes for over 700 of those animals.
They do all that work with only 1.6 Full Time Equivalent workers, who also take care of the animals housed in the shelter until they can find homes for them.
How do they fund all that work? With difficulty.
Only 10% of their budget is funded from the county right now, while 40% is funded through charging of services and the remainder trickles in from other grant sources. With the overwhelming load they are faced with every single day, they are in desperate need of additional funding to allow for much-needed staff.
To support the efforts of the Animal Shelter, there is a proposed levy for the May ballot, asking for 8 cents per $1000 of assessed property tax value. For an average home of $150,000, that would cost the homeowner $12.00 per year, or one dollar a month.
With those funds, they can continue serving the county and handling the constant demand of animals needing shelter, and providing families across the county with animals for adoption.
To me it makes a lot of sense.
“Run for the Law” Committee
Bill West/Holly Lidey
PLEASE REGISTER NOW FOR THE RUN/WALK!
- IF you want to purchase a run T-shirt but don’t plan to register, such as volunteers, they can e-mail Holly: email@example.com or call her at 541-660-8186. She will need the shirt sizes and money for the shirts before March 1st! Cost of the shirts: Adults $13.50 and Kids $12.00
- Where are we at?
- Sponsors have been impressive! Evergreen Federal announced to its’ employees that it would pay the registration for any employee that wanted to participate! WOW! So did Southern Oregon Sanitation!
- Dr. Matt Johnston’s CHALLENGE: “We have the patients with the best and whitest teeth which gives us an aerodynamic advantage in the run!”
- The Josephine County Search and Rescue
- Dave Matthews and AMR
- Conservative estimates of participation in this run, in our county of 82,000 is: 1000
- Club Northwest Advertisement
- The next BIG meeting for this Committee is: February 5, 2014 at Wild River Pub @ 12 Noon (tentatively)
- Join this committee, e-mail Bill: firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Patrick’s Day Run For The Law
10k Run or 5k Walk/Run & Kid’s Dash
March 15, 2014
Go to www.securingoursafety.org to register
Gold Beach Summit Keith Heck
Lottery Committee (PAC) Update
- Join this committee, e-mail Cliff: email@example.com
- Dr. Steven Marshak’s Idea /CJ City Councilor Dr. John Gardiner /Penny Mueller
Our plan for our SPONSORS
Amber Garza/ Gordon Edstrom
WHAT SAY YOU?
MISSION: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”