We have a MUST WATCH new video compilation in the SOS video series “The Cost.” We played this video on “the big screen” to start the meeting. Please visit the SOS site or watch it directly on the YouTube link here:
This piece will be used for seeking partnerships, grants, and general SOS education and awareness activities. We will also use this as a showcase piece to try and attract partnerships to do additional video work and perhaps a full documentary. Please share this video on your social media pages – the more eyes we have on our crisis and the more awareness, the easier it will be to come together and achieve our mission: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.”
1) Crime update – we need to come together and focus on solutions that are in our control now more than ever. Stats and real stories are pointing towards our crime and law enforcement crisis getting worse…some more data to follow over the next month. We need to be more vocal in lots of ways because this situation is unacceptable!
2) Our Mission Has Not Changed, Update on the CITIZEN-Voiced Plan – From early on we knew there is no single silver bullet here….we remain focused on the series of solutions that will come together and get our County back on its feet.
We would like to formally invite you to the Mining Jobs Development Summit. This event is taking place on Thursday the 9th of July, 2015 from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Location is the Josephine County Fairgrounds in Grants Pass, OR. It is free to attend, but registration is required. You can register at SWORminingjobs.com or call (541) 244-2627 or email SWOMiningSummit@gmail.com.
Discussion will include:
– History of Mining in Southwestern Oregon
– Economic Benefits of Mining: How SW Oregon Can Prosper Again
– How We Are Trying to Fix the Problem
– Discussion & Questions
We have secured the following Speakers:
-Rich Angstrom, Director of Oregon Concrete & Aggregate Producers Assoc.
-Dave Hunnicutt, Executive Director of Oregonians in Action
-Representative Carl Wilson, Oregon House of Representatives
-Senator Herman Baertschiger, Jr., Oregon Senate
-Tom Wiley, Geologist, Dept. of Geology and Mineral Industries for the State of Oregon.
-And many more…
SW Oregon Mining Jobs Development Summit
We would like to thank the following sponsors: Oregon Concrete & Aggregate Producers Association, Sunny Valley Sand and Gravel, Inc., Copeland Paving, Oregonians in Action, Grants Pass Water Lab, Roley’s Pacific Supply, Securing Our Safety (SOS), Grants Pass & Josephine County Chamber of Commerce, and Armadillo
The meeting opened with some thoughts about some of the derogatory things that have been said and written about people and groups such as SOS and Community United for Safety, who are trying to restore funding to our Criminal Justice System and sincerely trying to make Josephine County a safer place. We agreed that our Mission has not changed: “A citizen-voiced plan to provide for a secure, stable and sustainable Josephine County.” This effort has never been about anything other than making our home safer and shining the light on our Josephine County children and elders, whose victimization is going unnoticed—whose voice is being ignored.
As long as Josephine County is our home, we must take action to address our current failings as a community.